Started in 1916 by W. H. Zeug, Charlie Harper later purchased the business in 1966. In 1989 it was remodeled -- enlarging the showroom to display the many bikes, accessories and clothing. Harper's Cycling & Fitness is a full-service bicycle shop dedicated to serving your cycling needs, providing top bicycle and accessories brands, expert advice, personal service and expert repairs - all you need to enjoy your cycling experience.
From the beginner to the experienced bicycle rider, Harper's Cycling & Fitness prides itself on being a complete cycling headquarters, offering a wide selection of quality bicycles from Trek, Electra, Schwinn and Redline. The products we sell are made of high-quality materials, and all bicycles are assembled and adjusted to fit your body by our expert staff of bicycle mechanics. When you buy a bike from Harper's Cycling & Fitness, we can assure you that it will work properly and fit you correctly.
Harper's Cycling & Fitness can advise you on all you will need to have fun on your bike. We can help you understand the use of gears, brakes, and quick-release mechanisms, as well as provide reference to sources for further instruction and advice on places to ride.
We also offer the area's largest selection of top-quality accessory equipment to meet the needs of the recreational rider to the serious competitor. And to better serve our customers, we have a large selection of Oakley sunglasses.
To broaden your range of fitness possibilities, Harper's Cycling & Fitness also sells Cycleops bike trainers and quality Kreitler Rollers.
Each year Harper's is one of only ten Official RAGBRAI® Bike Shops and we have our repair van on the bike route taking care of the riders. We are an vendor of official RAGBRAI t-shirts and other RAGBRAI mementos and if you need help to prepare for RAGBRAI, we are very happy to assist you.
We think you'll get great value for your money by taking advantage of the quality service and selection offered at our store, and we invite you to stop by!
- Inspect for any damaged or worn parts and inform customer.
- Adjust all bearing tolerances for maximum efficiency.
- True rims to .5mm radially and laterally (if possible).
- Check wheels for proper dish.
- Adjust derailleurs for overall best shifting performance.
- Adjust brakes for maximum braking power and efficiency.
- (The quality of performance determined by the quality and condition of the components.)
- Check to make sure all parts, components and fittings are properly tightened.
- Check front and rear dropout alignment.
- Lubricate cables with rust preventive.
- Lubricate chain with a "dry" type chain lubricant.
- Adjust tire pressure and test ride.